Training and education are essential to the Workplace’s Psychological Health and Safety Standards. As part of our Psychological Health and Safety Program, CCSA has partnered with the Canadian Association for Long-Term Care (CALTC) to support a grant they have received from the federal government to boost resiliency and mental health education with staff in long-term care across the country.
The Public Health Agency of Canada grant has two parts:
- Customizing The Working Mind Program for long-term care staff by the Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Training of 160 trainers across the country to deliver the customized Working Mind program.
We are pleased to share that CCSA will soon offer The Working Mind Training as part of our Psychological Health and Safety Program.
The Working Mind (TWM) is an evidence-based training that aims to help people in their places of work, reduce stigma towards mental health. The course provides participants with tools to identify mental health changes in themselves and equip them with tools to start trauma informed conversations about mental health.
TWM program aims to help individuals maintain their wellness while also supporting others living with a mental health problem or illness in a psychologically healthy and safe work setting. This program will assist employers who are interested to adopt the Psychological Health and Safety Standard in the workplace.
Three Core Modules offer the same foundational content to both employee and manager participants. They focus on increasing self-awareness and taking care of your own mental health.
- Module 1: Mental Health and Stigma will introduce participants to the concepts of mental health and stigma, and it will discuss impacts of stigma on individuals living with mental health problems.
- Module 2: Mental Health in the Workplace will help recognize and keep track of changes in your mental health and well-being and know when to take appropriate actions and have conversations about mental health with colleagues and friends.
- Module 3: Stress & Resilience will discuss the impacts of stress on mental health and provide an opportunity for participants to practice the Big 4 coping strategies – proven tools to help deal with stress effectively and remain resilient.
- The Manager Module offers leadership-specific content and focuses on helping leaders support their teams’ mental health.
- Module 4: Supporting Your Team will build on the three core modules and introduce managers with practical tools to support individual employees, and to support their team’s mental health.